Thursday, September 28, 2006

I knew it would happen, but that doesn't make it any easier

My grandmother has given up.



My dad spoke with my aunt earlier today, and it seems that Granny has been overtaken with the sadness and has decided just to quit.


She has stopped taking people's phone calls, I've been calling her since this past Saturday, and she hasn't answered once. My dad has been calling since Monday, and she hasn't answered his calls either. She has stopped coming to the door, and the only way we know she's still alive is my aunt has gone by twice and used the spare key hidden outside (for emergencies) to let herself in and check. She has even stopped eating, and has lost over 20 pounds in two weeks.

While my aunt was there my Grandma said that my aunt could start having the things that were left to her in the will, and that she wanted to meet with my dad to sign her house over to him.


I'm not sure what has prompted the inevitable. It could have been the big birthday party we had for her, she might of thought it was a nice memory to leave us all with. It could have been my grandpa's birthday that she couldn't make him a cake for. Maybe the end of the summer/ start of fall has done it, or even that she can't work in the yard or garden anymore due to the cooler temps.


Something has changed, and I know in my heart that she has just decided to quit. Living without her husband isn't something that she wants to do anymore, so she wants to be with him in heaven instead. So instead of making dinner, cleaning, or studying tonight I'm going to pick up some flowers and take them to my beloved Granny. I don't know if she'll come to the door when I'm there, but maybe when she opens it and sees that we still love her, maybe she won't quit after all.


Damn this is hard.