Friday, September 29, 2006

The Granny visit

I tried calling her a few times last night, and she never answered. Being the stubborn girl that I was raised to be, I headed to Wal Mart and bought her the largest yellow mum plant I could find, as well as a card, and went over anyway.

I stood at the door, knocking, for at least 5 minutes. I could see she had the tv on through the light flashes out of the window, so I kept knocking. She finally answered.


I gave her the flowers, and she thanked me. Then she scolded me for spending my money on her instead of on myself... I hope she knows I'd spend every dime I had on her if she ever needed it.

We sat and talked for over 2 hours, about anything, everything, and nothing all rolled into one. Marshall the Cat is still hanging around her, but Marshall turned out to be a girl because she had kittens last week. I told Granny I'd bring her a bag of catfood for her dear Marshall. We told stories of when I was young and used to punch my brothers in the face... that always makes Granny laugh. (I'm such a badass...lol) She told me how she can't sleep in her bed anymore because it makes her miss my Grandpa. She woke up too many times with tears rolling down her face, so sleeping in the recliner is just easier for her. I'm fine with that, whatever makes her happy. I did see some food on a plate in the sink, so I know she had eaten something recently, but all of her diabetic supplies were no where to be found. I'll make sure my cousin the pharmacist knows that...


Granny gave me some pictures of me as a wee lass, I'll get those scanned and up on the bloggy before too long. Some are pretty cute.

My dear old Granny made a comment last night that has stuck with me all day long. She has been going through everything, washing it, then putting it away. And I mean EVERYTHING, the medicine cabinet, the towels, everything. She also emptied out her deep freeze, cleaned it, and then put everything back in. What she said is this: "I don't want you guys coming in here to divide things up and remember me as a lousy housekeeper, so I'm getting everything ready". I had to sneak off to the bathroom to cry...

I love her so much, but she's sad. She's ready to see her husband again, we're just not ready for her to go. I want her to rock my babies to sleep... she just can't die. She can't.