Monday, June 26, 2006

Boomer no longer has balls

Saturday Mr. Boomer went to work with me, excited to see his other doggy friends he made during his last trip and play in the pool. Poor trusting soul, he had no idea what he was in for.

He was getting the balls whacked. The vet did a great job with him, but she did say she had a hard time getting him to stop bleeding. So he has some swelling, and still looks like the balls are there because of the blood that filled the area in, but that will be reabsorbed into his body before too long. He was so groggy that when I took him from the clinic back to the shelter where I was he was walking like a drunk dog. And he peed for about 5 minutes. Even with all of his medicine the boy didn't pee inside. He's so cool...


After I got him home we kept him in the living room so I could watch him and make sure he didn't vomit or start licking his incision and possibly reopen it. Then came the fun part of giving him a pain pill. I thought I'd be smart and insert it into a piece of a hot dog. The dog spit it out. I tried again, and he spit it out. So I opened his mouth and dropped the pill in. He spit it out. Tried it again, and he still spit it out. Once on the ground he sniffed it, picked it up in his mouth, chewed and swallowed. Then, and only then, did he eat the hot dog. Yup, that's right, my dog's smarter than me.


But he's just fine now. Plays and runs and jumps just like before the surgery. It will take about a month for all of the hormones to finally leave his body and then he'll really start to calm down and hopefully stop trying to hump me. That's never fun... lol