Thursday, May 04, 2006

Advertising...the advertisements?

I'll admit that I think about weird things. I wonder why people do what they do, and what they hope to gain from it.

Last night I was going through all the junk mail. Reading through Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Drug Warehouse. Then I come across a single page flyer for Home Depot.

"Check your mail for upcoming advertisements from Home Depot"

WTF? They're mailing a flyer, to tell us about mailing a flyer? Surely if we saw this one, we'd see an actual advertisement, with actual products, sales, and specials. Why waste your time advertising a future piece of paper, via the exact same method?

If you're afraid that someone won't see the mailout, why send notification via a mailout?! Why not advertise a mailout via radio or t.v.? That way, those who are interested will start paying attention to flyers in the mailbox.

And to think... someone probably was paid a LOT of money to think that mess up. Idiots.