Monday, July 17, 2006

I'll have the junior, please.

We've all done it. We go out to a fast food joint, pick out our combo, and fall victim to the great deal of supersizing for just a few dimes. Everyone knows that we shouldn't do it, trans fats, oils, cheeses, sodium. They are all terrible for our bodies, but it's a DEAL! Of course our waist lines pay the ultimate price. Americans are fat, and getting fatter.

This has caused me to be impressed by a few restaurants are going against the grain, and offering either junior sizes, or healthier options like bottled water, fruit, salads, or milk (for the kids) with combos.

We have quite a few Sonic restaurants in the area, and you can get every dessert that they have in a 'junior' size, usually only for 99 cents or so, where as the regular one is a few dollars.

Wendy's offers granola, mandarin oranges, salads, and water all as other options to supersizing.


Don't get me wrong, I'm no health nut. I can finish an entire 10" pumpkin pie by myself. Or 30 hot wings. Or my super strawberry shortcake that I enjoy in the spring, covered in cool whip and chocolate sauce. But, I don't eat many fried things, or fatty breakfast foods, and even though my examples above look bad, I don't partake in desserts very often. Usually a frozen fruit popsicle a couple of times a week after I've been out in the heat is plenty to satisfy my sweet tooth. I remove the skin from my chicken. And I haven't had a soda since November.


If we, as a society, could just practice moderation we would all be healthier, happier, and live longer lives. Fewer heart attacks, fewer strokes, fewer stomach stapling surgeries and tummy tucks. Nice, right?