Monday, December 18, 2006

Boom's home

I picked up my boom doggie after work today. He's ok.


When I first got Boomer he was about 10 months old. He was a pet of a guy that I worked with, and the guy didn't have time for him any more. I wanted a dog, so I sweet talked my Ace into letting me have him.


He wasn't neutered, and thus would dig out from under the fence and try to escape. During the digging process he cut his nose. As the nose started to scar he would re-injure it. The spot would rescar. The scar got bigger. After I got boomer, the vet started to really watch the nose scar. She was thinking that it was a 'doggy wart'. During the cutting/ scarring/ recutting a virus got in there, and now he has a virus.

She and I had discussed freezing it off, or just letting it be and see what it did. I'm not so prissy that I have to have a perfect dog, so I let it be for a bit, not wanting to sedate him for something that isn't necessary.

Fast forward to last Thursday. Now that we have Sanchez, the two play pretty rough which causes the bump to open and bleed slightly every now and then. Boomer doesn't seem bothered with it, so no big deal, right?

Well, after discussing it with the vet, she thinks it is possible if it is indeed a virus that Sanchez could scratch it open, and then get infected himself. So I'd have two warty dogs. And possibly two surgeries down the road. So I might as well go ahead and have it removed.

That's what we did today. I took the poor baby in this morning, and the vet cut his nose wart off. He now has 5 stitches and a head cone. (I haven't put it on him yet, the shame would be too much for his sad little soul right now I think.)

The wart thingy is off to the pathologist lab tomorrow, and we should have the results (and a future treatment plan if it returns) in about 10 days.


I'll try to get stitches pictures up soon. Poor baby, looks so sad.