Monday, August 01, 2005

Happy B-Day Grandpa!

Yesterday was my dear Grandpa's 85th birthday. We all met at their house for good times and birthday cake.

The day was filled of me giggling with my Grandma, Aunt, 2 adult cousins and one cousin's 2 daughters, while Grandpa slept in his chair facing the window.

It was a very fun time, until I got ready to go.

Grandma followed me out on the porch and started telling me what she wanted me to have after the two of them die.

There are 3 things, and the reasons why.

One, her two hand made ceramic cats. She used to make ceramics as a hobby on the rare occasion there was extra money. She remembers when I learned to crawl, and when I was put on the floor I'd always crawl straight to them and stare at the two cats for hours. She can't imagine them anywhere but with me.

Two, her rocking chair. I'm the only girl granddaughter without a baby, and she wants to make sure when I finally have one that I take the time to rock her to sleep. She said as a mother, that was her favorite thing to do.

Three, her dining room table. She remembers when I was young I always talked about being a mom. When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I said a mommy. She wants me to have a big happy family who sits around the table every night for dinner.


I sat in my car outside and cried for nearly 30 minutes. I realized what a wonderful life the two of them have had, the memories they share, and the dreams they have for their family. I can only hope to have half the life the two of them have had.