Friday, January 20, 2006

An update

Well yesterday was the funeral, so I was out from work all day.


It started at 2, but I was so antsy that Ace and I got there just after 1. D'oh..


I must say, it was probably the funniest funeral I've ever been to. The pastor's cell phone rang for chrissakes...

Granny was ok, she cried for a few minutes, but said her goodbyes and honestly was better than I thought she would be.

There were several big, pretty floral arrangements. He was surrounded by many family members, including his crazy twin sister. She's psycho... the only thing she said was that she didn't like the shirt he had on.

I saw my cousin's brand new baby, just 4 weeks old. I saw the estranged uncle, and tried to talk him into coming around more. I saw long lost relatives that I haven't been around in many years.


Oh, and my dad's new wife commented to me that his ex-wife (who was there with her son, my little brother) should have waited in the car, as if to say she wasn't welcome. I just responded "She knew my Grandpa too, and is the mother of his Grandson. She can be here if she likes"


All in all, it was a nice service. I feel like a huge weight was lifted off of me. Grandpa was sick for a long time, and I feel that we gave him a great send-off. My aunts, uncles, cousins and I have vowed to help keep Granny's spirits up, by grilling with her over the summer, taking her fresh flowers, and helping plant her a garden.


Thanks so much to everyone for the wonderful comments and words of wisdom. They were very much appreciated.