Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Mementos

Tonight is the viewing/ visitation for Grandpa.


I have picked up a couple of things for his casket. Grandpa loves sweets, mostly chocolate. Candy bars, pudding, cake, whatever. Chocolate was his only request. I picked him up an Almond Joy to be buried with.


Also, Grandpa spent his whole life milking cows. He always worked on a dairy, it's what he knew and the way he supported his family. I found (after searching high and low) a small dairy cow figure for the casket.

Things like this only seem natural to me. When a loved one dies, you give them a good 'send-off', packing the casket with things that remind you of them, things that give you comfort. Things, that if there is an after-life, make their transition a bit easier.

Not everyone feels this way. My boss and I spoke this morning and his family would never think to do something like this. Burials are sacred, the people are dressed up so they look their best. They are buried in their wedding ring, maybe a watch, but that's it. Fancy clothes and a bit of jewelry.

Not a favorite hat, or a candy bar, or family photo during a vacation. That is what seems strange to me. Different strokes, I suppose.