Monday, February 14, 2005

Funeral today

Ok, well this afternoon I have a funeral to go to. A client of mine was shot inside her office on Thursday afternoon by her ex-husband, and then he shot himself. They had divorced this past November, and he went psycho and got strung out on drugs. Wednesday the ex-husband stole his parents car and headed to Tulsa. His parents called Catherine and told her to leave town, but unfortunately she didn't. Thursday morning she went with her mother and filed a protective order stating she felt in immediate danger. She was back in the office for 8 minutes according to a coworker before he came in, shot her 3 times with a shotgun, then shot himself.

I've been taking this pretty hard. I was in a pretty bad relationship myself a few years ago and I can't help but see myself as this girl. She was only 30, with an amazing job and what could of been a very promising future. Then some guy thinks that if he can't be with her she doesn't deserve to live any longer. Not that anyone deserves to be shot, but Miss Catherine was such a sweet customer of mine. If we ever missed a deadline or messed something up she never once was upset about it. She was always laughing and smiling, talking about trade shows she was headed to, all the new places she was seeing, and she only ever spoke of good things. A salesman in the office and I had seen Catherine the day before. She was here in the office, and I noticed that she wasn't wearing a wedding ring any longer but didn't actually think anything of it.

I just can't understand why this guy would feel the need to do this. Ok, I get the drugs and that he hates himself because his wonderful wife finally realized what a shit head he was and left his sorry ass. Why couldn't he just kill himself? Why shoot her? She never deserved this.

Anyhow, I have to get ready to go to the funeral.